Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cadence

From the time I was seven until I was 16, I studied music. With the help of a private teacher, I took exams with the Associated Board of Royal Schools of Music, being assessed on the fundamentals of music -- the elements of making it and playing it.

One of things I learned was how to recognize harmonic cadences, the progression of chords that concludes a phrase, section or an entire piece of music. Think of this as musical punctuations -- is it a comma and is there more to come? Or, is it a period, foreshadowing the close of a brilliant masterpiece?

It was hard to memorise the different types of cadences and their purpose. But I found that when I stopped questioning and just listened, the music will almost always speak for itself -- you can feel the lift that takes you into a refrain, the slight sauntering of chords into a new verse or the comforting, conclusive resolution that you can sink into at the end of the song.

Last week, I heard the word 'cadence' used in a different way. It was used to describe the frequency and type of touches used in marketing campaigns. The question in point: What is the right cadence -- how often, to what degree and what type of communications -- to start a relationship, to deepen one or to relinquish all ties with our clients.

At first I thought -- here we go, the English language being abused yet again. But then, of course -- what perfect sense! What is the ultimate rhythmic sequence and flow, what measure of touches, the right words to reach out with so we take it to the next step -- in marketing, in business. And, in relationships.

How much before we say with a falling inflection of the voice, 'Stop, that is enough.' Or when we modulate from a choice of pulling closer or ... letting loose.

Then, of course, Nature's natural cadences are at play all the time -- when day turns to night, when flowers must bloom, and when it is time for red and brown leaves to fall from trees. I'm guessing our own inner rhythm is attuned to this universal sense of timing as well -- especially when it comes to our personal evolution.

I can't say I understand how the cadences of my life work their way into the music of the Universe. Perhaps I need to stop questioning it ... and just listen instead.

For its lifts, a silent sauntering or for a progression of chords moving to a harmonic close, a point of rest or a certain sense of resolution.

2 comments:

  1. This is really good. What is the universe saying to you?

    By the way, "cadence" seems to be the new buzz word at NW. I'm hearing it frequently.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I don't know yet ... but I'm listening hard : )

    ReplyDelete