Saturday, October 10, 2009

Reaching out ... again

Things I cannot do effectively with just one hand:

1. Floss -- well, not really, because there's the alternative 'floss-on-a-stick' that allows me to literally, single-handedly keep my promise to my dentist to floss (almost) everyday. No, I didn't get the ones that look like little green dinosaurs (although I wanted to). Nevermind.

2. Open prescription bottles (so you can take the pain meds that'll let you open prescription bottles ... you get my point). Someone who's life purpose is to refuse to be daunted said 'hold the bottle in one hand and push it against your chest, and the cap should pop open.' I tried it, and there were no caps popping, I assure you.

3. Pressing Ctrl, Alt and Delete at the same time -- until I discovered I've been unnecessarily traversing the span of the great keyboard divide ... when I could have done this all on the right side of the board. A little spread of the thumb across Ctrl and Alt and my forefinger is free to Delete. Mission accomplished!

4. Not quite so easy with this next one -- getting dressed, er, waist up, that is. I made the mistake of trying to do this myself -- but it's the taken-for-granted dexterity of the delicate quick twist of the wrist that accomplishes the trick of hooking my bra strap (there, I said it) ... and this very act stresses the surgery site. So, big ouch, and, ... well, to my next point.

There are a few more things on my list but, at the end of it, the one big thing I know I cannot continue to do with one hand -- is to not ask for help. As much as I hated to rely on someone else to pick up my prescription for me when the pain meds did not work the first time, or to help put on socks, I did allow myself to ask for help. To suspend any judgement on my debilitations and accept, that for now, I will reach out -- bulky bandage and all -- and accept the help I need.

My independence can take the backseat while I catch a ride to the movie theatre.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to share with you that this made me giggle at my desk, out loud. You may not have intended for it to be as humorous as it was for me, but I really appreciated it - a lot. :) I hope that you have a speedy recovery and can get back to being self-sufficient ASAP. But, for now, you are right to just ask for help. All those who love you will be more than happy to lend a hand. (Get it - a hand, cause you can't use yours ... hahaha...ahh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    I'm glad you had a giggle on me ... I'm still feeling -- for the most part -- this is a light-hearted experience. Today, the person I lunched with offered to cut up my salad into bite size pieces ... and I let her! It was a huge step for me but I'm starting to feel like I could really get used to this 'helping hand' thing!!

    ReplyDelete