Sunday, September 20, 2009

Amazing grace

I've been lucky many times in my life.

But one of the sweetest of coincidences I get to enjoy is being mother of a daughter who is in the band. Okay, yes, being a band mom.

I love music. There is something that lives between the lines of the music staff that speaks to me. For the longest while, I held a secret desire to be a concert pianist. Needless to say, while I was in high school and college, I lived the band.

So, when I get teased about being a band mom, I laugh a little inside because, they don't really know how true it is. But not in a fanatical 'my daughter is the greatest because she is in the band' or 'I'm going to ring my cattle bell the loudest because my daughter's band is the only one that matters.'

This is the music that brings me back to my younger days: when my blood ran a little redder, aspirations sung out a little louder and everything in life could be summed up in a harmonious piece of manuscript, waiting to be performed brilliantly. Being able to relive that with my daughter as a part of the central melody -- is a cosmic convergence I can't even begin to explain.

So, tonight when she was on the field playing Amazing Grace with 400 other high school musicians, the surge I felt was not just from the crescendo of the music on the refrain of one of music history's classic pieces. That cresting of emotion was the coming together of the music that lives in me ... and the daughter who breathes alongside me.

What amazing harmony they make.
____________________________
So ... I couldn't resist, but you probably noticed that I added another sensory layer to the blog. Let me know if you like it ... or not. If you want to turn off the music, scroll down and look along the right for the 'controls' in the 'JUST FOR YOU' section. There is a pause button -- click on it and silence shall be yours ...

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading this, my eyes looked up to the framed words that hang above my desk.

    The words:
    TO SING is God's greatest gift...it gives the heart wings and the soul lips. SINGING is love in words and the singer is lover without equal.

    Your words rekindles this feeling. It feels good. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete