Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 21: Three weeks

21 days ago, I started something.

In a way, it wasn't as much about what it was and why but that I did it. I started something. I cracked open a door, I ventured out and I stayed out long enough to take a stand about a passion, to share with virtual strangers (and not quite strangers), to think seriously about something that weighed on me -- then toss it away cavalierly with the simple click of the 'Publish' button.

And, know what? I survived to tell the tale. Twenty one tales to be exact. So here's what I've learned:

Discipline
I need structure to keep writing. It doesn't feel like I'm letting myself down when I don't make time to write. But somehow the thought that someone might stumble onto Grounding Words and notice that it's not been updated feels like I'm letting someone else -- you -- down. And I won't have that.

This regiment -- and sometimes it has felt like that -- worked because it made me write. It's like the love/hate relationship I have with deadlines. There's a personal affront I feel with each deadline I've met but, if it weren't for them, I would never have any writing to call my own. Let's face it -- I have dreams bigger than what the lackadaisical writer in me can fuel on her own. I need the whip-lashing, nail-biting, heart-pumping, bed-tossing tyranny of a Structure.

Taking risks
It is obvious that the Universe wants me to know this because I ran into at least three chance encounters within the week of this, well, truth. A fellow writer noted in Bum Glue, her blog: All you have to do is to write one true sentence -- Ernest Hemingway said in Moveable Feast, a set of memoirs he wrote about his years in Paris as part of the American expatriate circle of writers in the 1920s.

One true sentence. For the past week, I feel like I have worn my heart out on my sleeve, pointed an arrow to it with a sign that said: Delicate matter abounds: Trample away! One true sentence. That tightly managed, guarded self in me is stifling and editing a comment right at this minute. But, it would suffice to say that as much as I respect and probably agree with Hemingway, it is definitely much easier said than done. For me. It is hard enough to zero in on the truth, let alone share it. Much work in this area, I'd say.

Higher consciousness
Okay, so I'm not walking on water or seeing people in technicolor auras. Yet. Just kidding -- but here's a truth: I think I'm on to something. You know the saying: You are drawn to those who have the most to teach you? Well, I seem to be drawn to the amazing experiences, encounters and people, Reiki included, that's helping me with this inner journey.

So, three weeks ago, I started something.

Some people call it a blog -- you write down your thoughts, you set it free into blog space, people read it and maybe they come back to read some more.


I call it a Practice. And, 21 days is nowhere near what I could call a complete experience. There is much yet to be done.

See you tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. I am happy to see the "end" of this journey is it's beginning...Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging words. Now, I need to not only keep up with the writing ... but also the Reiki. It is, after all, like you said -- a journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for you (and your readers) that you reached your goal and will continue. I look forward to keeping up with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words and support! I'm going to give it a shot but already my monkey mind is chattering up a storm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...And miles to go...

    An important and beneficial journey you have begun. Important for you in enabling you to release the swirls within, to loosen...

    Beneficial to the rest of us. It is good to finally begin to "see" you.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I see what you mean. It's definitely important on so many levels for me -- the self discovery, the writing discipline.

    I'm not too sure about the 'beneficial' part -- I liked being invisible! But, yes, it's all part of the journey ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!!!!!! I am so proud of your accomplishments....you have stuck to your writing, and they have been a true blessing to me! Keep it up! Thank you for sharing and allowing me to be a part of these experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nela,
    You've been a supporter right from the very beginning -- thank you so much for checking back!

    ReplyDelete