Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 12: Birds flying high

There's something very comforting about being on the ground: Barefeet toes on dirt, heels sunk comfortably into the solid yet accomodating earth. Unchanged for millions of years, this was how we were -- earthbound. Until the crawling reptilians took on a feather here and a couple of wings there and turned themselves into birds. I'm done with this gravity thing holding me down -- they must have said. I'm defying it and flying away.

Watch me.

I love what this means metaphorically. It works for the process of enlightenment, for empowerment, for stepping beyond boundaries and transitioning through windows that take you to a higher state of existence.

Physically, though, I still need to have my feet squarely on Mother Earth. I am a child of the Earth and I just don't know how to make room for flying.

I've tried learning the science -- about Bernoulli’s principle and how an 870,000-pound 747 can lift itself into 7,000 nautical miles into the air. I've also approached it from the inside, heaving deep breathes into my body in hopes of duping it into a self-induced stage of oxygen coma.

But, to no avail. I was on a plane today -- three actually -- and every shiver, quiver and tremble from the plane was mine to manage. The higher I go, the more I appreciate the obstinance of the uncompromising Earth -- it's that hard stop when you fall. The solid mantle that defies penetration.

But, it's also the firm support that holds you up when you're ready to get back up, making room for your feet to once again find its print in the gravel.

Now, there's just something very comforting about that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Reiki Update:
Maybe it was because I Reiki-ed the heck out of my hands while I was flying, or maybe it was a kiss-the-ground-because-I've-landed reaction, but I felt really good when I was back home after all that flying. I was tired but strangely energized at the same time; it was as if I had an appetite beyond the Micky D's Angus burger I can't believe I had. Almost like a ... drive. I did, afterall, post two blog entries when I got home that night. It was good. I felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment