Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 2: A Reiki thing

My day started with seemingly better promise -- I got out of bed and decided before I could come up with reasons why not to do Reiki, I would just start. When I was done, it was 45-minutes later. (It did help that our newspaper boy/man was even later today with the Sunday paper -- getting the Dispatch by 7 a.m. on a Sunday appears to be no more a luxury we can enjoy.)

Forty-five minutes is longer than I usually can manage. Maybe it was because I was lying down instead of sitting cross-legged on my bedroom floor. Maybe because, instead of an 8:30 a.m. meeting at work, the only appointment I had today was a back-to-school shopping spree with my daughter and another mother-daughter pair. But I felt like I gave it justice and time, and, it felt good. I felt good -- I don't know if it's just because I was going into the day having accomplished one of the big things I set out to do today, or, if it's the balancing effect of the Reiki session.

Since I've started practicing Reiki -- not right away, I have to add though -- I've been experiencing a difference. It's almost like how someone would feel if they were in a state of holistic well being. Not an entire smorgasbord of 'wellbeingness' but little appetizer portions served in little delicious, tempting platters.

Is it a Reiki thing?

I want to know. I need to know -- categorically, irrefutably and conclusively -- if this is because of the Reiki. And, more important, would it mean it is something within my control? That with the macro balancing and rebalancing within each one of us, a larger scale balancing is taking place: I think of huge swirls of energy moving around slipstreams of positive outcomes, of delightful synchronicities, of I-don't-know-why-but-I-just-feel-good bubbles that rise into the universal biofield. Is it a Reiki thing?

About a month after my Reiki I class, I ran down my list of questions to my sister.

"Do you think it was because of Reiki this happened, that I acted that way ?" I asked. "How about when that happened? Why did she do that? What do you think? Do you know?"

"And then when ... how am I supposed to know if any of this self-treatment is doing anything? Is it working? How will I know when it does? Has it?"

A Reiki Master for many years now (ah! I bet that has something to do with why she is studying Reiki, you say), my sister laughed. What does it matter if it is or not a 'Reiki thing'? No mind games, I said, long distance calls are expensive, even though I think she called me that time.

"Okay, what if I just said 'it is'," she said. "Now, move on."

Well, I'm trying, O Reiki Master, elder-sister-who-always-thinks-she-knows-it-all. She might as well have said -- it's the trust thing.

I hate it when she makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment