Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 16: Delicious silence

I've always fantasized about being one of those mysterious, veiled lady who speaks with her eyes, demanding subservience with the flicker of her mile-long lashes.

Alas, quiet and mysterious I am not.

So what an intriguing concept Noble Silence is -- a period of deep silence, a technique used by Buddhists and nuns in which a person refrains from speaking as a way to help quiet the mind. Not communicating, sometimes for days, monks who practice this have believed that words are poor instruments to examine truth.

Intriguing, indeed. But I am not there yet.

To me, silence is the stillness that I feel listening to the haunt of a Native American flute, soothing the heat of rage present only seconds ago. It's the faint breathing of my dog on my couch as she waits patiently for me to catch all the words spilling onto my journal late in the night. It is the hum of contentment I hear from the house at night, when everyone is easing into the fold of sleep.

Not quite so noble, I think. Just simply delicious.

1 comment:

  1. A period of silence may be difficult to achieve but worth every moment, I am sure.
    Teresita

    ReplyDelete